Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Accept One Another

My husband is an introvert. This is one major thing that initially drew me to him. I'm not a complete extrovert - if anything I think I  toe the line between the two extremes. Either way, his ability to maintain a state of equilibrium in regards to his feelings, think long, deep and independently, choose his words carefully and be comfortable with decision-making, conflict and ambiguity all intrigued me as these are not strengths of mine. Many of these gifts are what make him a very talented engineer and problem solver - by far one of the best I've known ( in my unbiased opinion).

Over time I  realize that I have forgotten how much I treasure these specific things about him. My nature is to be where the 'action'  is, to tell stories( If you know me, you know I love telling stories) , meet new people and spend all day in the company of friends and family. In the past 5 years that we've been married there have been times when I have been frustrated when my desire for these things clashed with his introversion.

Today, in a moment of solitude and inspired by the work of Susan Cain in her book ' Quiet: The Power of Introverts' , I'm reminded of the rare gem that I have in my brilliant husband. His ability to be steadfast in his leadership of our family is  remarkable because honestly folks I can be an emotional train wreck at times, especially when there's a baby inside of me. His calm nature, analytical mind, honesty and calculated actions are things that I can't totally wrap my mind around, but  truly appreciate.

The Scriptures say in Romans 15:7 to 'Accept one another as Christ has accepted you in order to bring praise to God'. For the next years that God allows me to be married to this amazing man, I choose to accept him just as his and appreciate him for these very unique things that I don't always understand and to be the helper who brings him good and not harm all the days of his life.

That's all for now. Practicing my 15 minutes of introspection thanks Kayonne Webley

2 comments: